Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Searching for My Love Story


“Don’t worry!  God’s writing your love story.  When it finally unfolds, believe me, it will be worth the long wait.”

“God’s weaving a special love story just for you!  It’s just taking Him a long time to finish it because it’s really complicated.”

“Look at the beautiful way God brought Isaac and Rebekah together!….or Ruth and Boaz!  He’s going to bring someone into your life in a beautiful way like that.  You just wait!”

People mean well when they tell me these things, assuring me God has that “special someone” out there “just for me”.  He’s “right around the corner” and “God’s waiting for the perfect moment” to spring him on me “when I least expect it”.  And, I must admit, it’s an intoxicating feeling to think that God is writing a special love story just for me.  One that will put Cinderella’s to shame.  One that will cause friends and relatives to gasp in delight at its retelling.  One that will hold the grandchildren spellbound someday.

Oh, yes, I’ve read When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy.  Every titillating word of it.  I’ve listened in amazement to Christian couples telling stories of how God brought them together, salivating at the gloriously romantic details, wondering what equally thrilling story God is writing for me.

But is God writing my love story?  If He is I haven’t seen any evidence of it.  That doesn’t mean He isn’t writing it….but….it also doesn’t mean that He is.  Honestly, I have no idea what God is doing on the love front for me.  What’s even more concerning is there’s nothing in God’s Word that says we’re all guaranteed a love story.  God definitely choreographs some.  The Song of Solomon is a detailed account of a beautiful story of love and marriage that God clearly wrote – it’s an inspired book of the Bible.  But for every story of Isaac and Rebekah, Ruth and Boaz, or even Jacob and Rachel, there’s a story of Jeremiah, John the Baptist, and Stephen.  Every person doesn’t get a love story.  Furthermore, I know of only one story for which God promises a happy ending:

“He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” – Philippians 1:6

God is weaving a glorious story for me.  One of redemption.  Ephesians 2:4-7 lays it out:  “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—  and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.”

Romantic love stories are wonderful, beautiful, godly gifts, but in longing for my own love story, have I lost sight of the most important story God is writing for me? 

 © Copyright 2015